Monday, July 28, 2014

Artsy Inspiration Blog Hop

Recently an online friend of mine asked me if I would participate in a fun blog hop/train and she said such kind things about my work, I had to say yes :)  This is how it works. Today, I will share a little bit about the person who asked me to participate, and a bit about myself and my creative process, and in a week I will post again, about a few more artists who inspire me!

Rachel of Captivated Visions has been an art inspiration of mine for a few years now. We "met" for the first time when I applied to what was maybe her first official Creative Team call for her digital scrapbooking designs. I spent two years on her team, watching her career grow and watching her designs evolve! I would say that she is now one of the most prominent digital mixed media designers out there, and I am so glad to say that I "knew her when".   She does much of her work using paper and paint and then lets us digital artists play around with her art without getting our hands dirty! (Although I definitely do get my hands dirty these days!) Just take a look at these hand crafted creations:




And here's a bit about me.

How does your creative process work? How does your work differ from others of its genre? 

 My creative process is messy and I honestly borrow a lot of inspiration from other sources. Once in awhile, I have a great thought that is my own, but I do a lot of practice in the meantime by looking at others' work and trying to emulate the things I like. That's why I love art journaling. I can watch a video by Donna Downey, for example, try out her techniques, and hopefully learn something along the way. And I can look back at those pages over and over but I don't necessarily have to display them for all to see :)

What are you working on now? 
 Well, I just got back from an amazing art workshop with Donna and with Finnabair, but I think it deserves its own separate post! Here's a quick peek at a journal cover I made (although as my husband said after I showed the journal to him "It looks better in person!"):

 
 


Why do you do what you do?
Because apparently, I have this overwhleming need to create! I didn't realize that I felt that way until I started digital scrapbooking several years ago, and that love has transformed into a new love for mixed media art. I love the "no-rules" approach, because I am a perfectionist and no rules means I can never do anything"wrong"!


Thanks for stopping by, and please come back in a week to learn about some inspirations of mine!

No comments: