Thursday, October 11, 2012

Play Date Cafe Challenge #153

Wow, this week seemed like a whirlwind! We had visitors over the weekend, which was great fun, but now I am worn out!

Here is the lovely color story for the week:



 And our always amazing sponsor, Simon Says Stamp!
Simon Says Stamp

So this week, I was in the mood to make a true "She Art" girl because I  haven't for awhile. I think I am out of practice! She ended up cute, but it took several tries and lots of gesso to cover up some mistakes! :)

Here she is:



It's a little hard to see in the photos, but just to the left of her skirt, you can see a doily. This doily was one that was owned by my grandmother who died before I knew her. But she was into crafts and left behind a cache of neat things, including lots of packs of paper doilies.

By nature, I want to save and hoard things and was slightly reluctant to use up any of her supplies. But I realized that she would probably want things used in projects rather than disintegrate or get thrown away years down the road or whatever. I know I got some of my talent and interests from her (and my other also artsy grandmother!) and the best way I know how to honor her is to incorporate some of her supplies into my own work.

Anyways, I hope you're having a great week and enjoying the fall weather if it is getting cooler where you live (it sure is here! pulled out the jacket for the first time this season!). Make sure to stop by The Play Date Cafe for complete rules and prize information!



6 comments:

Donna B. said...

Over your She Art girl! She's adorable! I also love that you used the vintage doilie-a great way to remember your grandmother!

Sarah Anderson said...

Gorgeous textures, love how you've got the colours to work so well together. I know what you mean about using precious supplies! So nice that this page'll always make you think of your Grandma x x

Lea L. said...

So artistic and pretty! Wonderful job!

~amy~ said...

This is soooooo pretty! Good for you for using stuff and not hoarding it..I think that is a super challenge.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Beautiful! I love the richness of your colors. Blessings!

Kelly Griglione said...

Love the story about your grandmother and how you honored her passion for crafting. I hear you about hoarding things, but I'm sure you feel so good after using it on this fabulous project! Love it!